Keep everything running smoothly
Thanks to advances in engine technology, today's cars are exceptionally reliable and can go much further between services than earlier models, often thousands of miles further. Of course, that's good news for you. But it does mean that it's more important than ever to check your oil level regularly and top it up whenever necessary.
What can go wrong?
If you don't check your oil you're taking a real risk with your engine's health. As the oil level drops, the remaining oil in your engine has to work harder, becoming dirtier and wearing out faster, with the result that your car's performance will start to suffer. Not much further down the road your engine will be in real danger of increased wear, overheating and even total seizure, which could cost thousands of pounds to put right.
Did you know?
Using the wrong grade of oil could damage your engine and invalidate your warranty, which could mean costly repairs.
What can you do?
Check your oil. Ideally, you should check your oil weekly, as recommended by most car manufacturers. Whilst oil consumption varies between different cars and also between different driving styles, if you find that your oil level drops from maximum to minimum after less than 1000 miles (1500km), you should have your engine checked.
How to check and top-up your oil
- Park on a level surface, turn off the engine and wait for 3-4 minutes to allow the oil to settle
- Find the dipstick, pull it out, wipe and re-dip before taking your reading
- If it is less than maximum, check the fill guide to find out how much you need to add
- Remove the oil filler cap on top of your engine, add the right amount of oil and replace the filler cap
- Wait 60 seconds to allow the oil to drain into your engine, then re-dip to check the new level. Add more oil if necessary and replace the oil filler cap
Too busy to check for yourself? You can call in any time for an oil check and top-up*. Just one of the little things we don't charge for.
Why choose Benfield?
At Benfield our employees have a lot to live up to, but then they wouldn't be working for us if they didn't want to be the best. Our people take personal satisfaction not only in doing their job well, but also in working together to make Benfield even better.
All our work is carried out by trained technicians using state of the art equipment. We make it our business to know everything there is to know about the makes and models we sell and how to maintain them.
So you can expect real expertise, every time.
*Oil top-up is up to 1 litre.